Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolled part to sheet metal issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaborHun

Mechanical
May 27, 2008
HU
I try to convert to sheet metal something similar to the attached picture, but had no luck with it yet.
I have no idea about what method shall I use. I'd say something around "sketched bend" might do the trick, but playing with the parameters did not give any solution. I start to wonder if it is feasible at all or not.
Any help would be appreciated. I use SW 2007.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be sure that the gap you show on the bottom is actually there.
Not just a discontinuity in the material, but an actual gap, with a minimum dimension somewhere above .001".

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Draw your initial cylinder. From an edge plane construct a gap. Usually I try to make one of the gap sides parallel to the material and the other at an angle from the center point. The angle can be small, mine are .05°. When you convert to sheet metal, use the inside, parallel edge. Make your cuts and flanges after you convert.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=431f058e-6b79-4220-b7e0-401223add6a3&file=cylinder.jpg
I wasn't precise enough. Converting to sheet metal is OK, as making cuts works well too.
My problems come when I try to make flanges onto curved surfaces (the two ends of the rectangular cuts).

At first I tried to cut the contours of the flanges in the rolled state of the sheet. Than I wanted to use "sketched bend" to make the bends, but received rebuild errors for all variations with the parameters.

At second I made the cut, and tried "base flange-tab" to raise the flanges using a contour drawn upon the edges of the cut window, but the error message I got was: the sketch plane for base feature must coincide with the base body's top or bottom.

Attached pic shows both cases.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b7dbcb0f-2183-498a-bc2d-c011b7765d1b&file=2.jpg
Thanks Mike, thanks Felix!

Finally I managed to solve it, but had to do it the brute force way. After creating the cylinder I made tiny sections of the cylinder flat (sections where I needed the flanges). These flat sections were OK to create base flange-tab features.
The final product model was not a perfect cylinder, but got pretty close to it.

Green lines highlight the borders of the flat sections in the attached picture.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e6b68f06-2c57-411b-b6c3-69a6732c2543&file=3.jpg
Glad that it worked, but that's a very unsatisfying way to do it.
I was hoping that some real SW expert would check in and show us the 'best' way.

I have no SW to mess with now, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to pierce the hole and/or pull the flange in unrolled state.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back