Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rollercoaster 3D geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachuu12

Civil/Environmental
Sep 20, 2015
PL
Hi all. I'm an engineer working on Tekla Structures for a year now. My dream have always been to design a steel rollercoaster construction. I doubt that I will ever get such project but... neverthelles I'd like to do such model in Tekla just for myself. I just have NO IDEA how to define the geometry of such type:

That is why I ask for some help in finding any materials about just how do people do that? I mean these constructions are real - so there has to be someone who knows how to draw them. There must be some methods. Anyone, please if you know some information about modeling rollercoasters in 3D could you help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is common for amusement rides, even complex ones, to be designed without much in the way of analytical modeling.

I would suggest you contact the big manufacturers and talk to their directors of engineering or lead engineers. Start with S&S Worldwide and Chance Rides....both are major coaster design/build groups.

As for an individual, you can contact Dr. Matthias Rohde at Frankfurt University. I worked with him on amusement rides "at a major theme park in Orlando, Florida". I was a consultant to the amusement park and he was a consultant to the manufacturer.

This would be fun! Do you make your vertical curves parabolas and your horizontal curves circular like on highways? Or throw in some weird curve equations for thrills? You have to go upside down at some point. Do this on a section of track that passes over your office yard so you can gather up everyone's wallets as they fall out under 0 g's.

Ron, I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. I'm finding myself in a similar position now with a new roller coaster.

UcfSE....got lots of it with amusement rides. I was the original author of the State of Florida Amusement Ride Inspection Protocol. Have no idea if they still use it. Have done consulting at each of the three major parks in Orlando.

Go to Woods Engineering website and contact me through there. I'll get back to you with direct access.

Or could I just use some 3D programs that easily draw 3D curves? Corel? Microstation? Some other architectural programs? So that using complicated math would be redundant? Anyone?

themeparkreview forums are another place to check out. Many years ago while I was looking for something new to do I applied at every coaster company I could find. Never heard back, but it was still fun to look. NoLimits or NL2 are some other software to check out. Not sure what the actual companies use though.

B+W Engineering and Design | Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back