Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolling Backup File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkared

Automotive
Oct 14, 2009
US
Is there any running Backup within UG that would ALLOW me to revert to an earlier version of my model? I am using UGNX6.
I saved a model, not realizing that there was a problem and would really like to get back to an earlier version. I am Working our IT department route but I would imagine that version would be at least a day or more back.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you use teamcenter? If so you can search trough general on the item, and then you normally have the 3 latest versions of our item in this format xxx;12 xxx;13 and xxx;14 (the xxx stands for the item number). If you delete the highest number, previous version will be yours.
When not working with TeamCenter, i guess you have a problem.

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4.0.4.2 MP10 / TCE 9.1.3.8_build_0711 / NX6.0.5.3 + TC8.1 Unified / NX7.0.0.9

Belgium

Unfortunately, No. If there isn't something creating a duplicate or "Rolling file" that comes standard, I wonder if there is a way to set it up.
Have you ever saved a file, and then realized that you needed the old version of something you changed for some reason? This is what I'm dealing with.

API stands for "Application Programmer Interface". It's a set of tools which allows our customers to create their own custom applications and utilities. It's like an 'Erector Set', you have to 'assemble' something before it does anything.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I used to manually save backup files using Right Click - Copy Here which gives you copy (1) of filename copy (2) of filename etc. The highest (#) copy file would be your previous state file. I started on Pro/E so this was something I missed when moving to UG. SolidWorks has what it calls backup versions which are automatically renumbered Backup 1 of -, Back up 2 of -. This was a nice addition in 2008 and will autorename the files so backup 1 is most recent and backup 2 is a renamed version of backup 1.

Some IT will have backups every morning or afternoon so you may be able to get it that way. If you create your own folder called BAK for backups you can keep backup editions of your work as you go and if nothing goes wrong you can just delete them later.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back