rolling cylinder on plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdarwinaustralia

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2008
FR
Hi everyone,

I'd like to model a rolling cylinder on a plate.
I tried to use the contact region tool but I'm not sure if it is the good way to do this... Basically, the cylinder should just roll on the plate, in other words I'd like the rotation and the translation of the cylinder to be coupled (something like R.theta = d ).
I 'd like, as well, avoid any rotation of the cylinder around the "vertical" axis (if we assume that the plate is on the horizontal plane) ...

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
if you don't want the "rotation about the vertical axis" and you assume the cylinder is "rigidly" rotating then you can degenerate your problem to 2-D dimensionality, so that the "out-of-plane" rotation is eliminated by definition.
Then, it's necessary to understand if you need a simple coupling of the motion, or if you want the rotation to be dependent on the friction between the surfaces (or lines, in 2D).
In the first case, abandon the contacts and build constraint equations. In the second case, set up contact and drive the cylinder at his center with a pilot node (and appropriate MPCs) or build a mesh which has a node at the center.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back