Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam651

Electrical
Apr 7, 2009
US
Does anyone know what the eqivalant to Romex is in the UK? I trying to figure out what would be considered standard or "up to code for residential homes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a real electrician but I know that Romex is a generic term to refer to plastic covered wire. It came from the Rome Wire Company originally and is now a trademark. Although the term is still frequently used in residential wiring, it has no official maning. It would never be referenced in any code.

Charlie

Sorry for the confusion, I know romex is a generic term. What I'm really trying to find out is the type of wireing used in residential homes in the Uk.

In NEC parlance in the US, Romex is Non-metallic sheath or NM cable. NEC Article 334.

I have no idea about the UK. I have a feeling they probably use something different.

"The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless." -- Steven Weinberg

Just before you start on any domestic work in the UK, installations in UK homes must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations and, if you're not a installer registered with the local authority as being competent to Part P, you'll have to pay for an inspection. The only exemptions are minor works, and 'minor' is the key part of that phrase.

Cable-wise you're almost certainly looking for cables to BS6004. Possible types are single core 6241YH, twin & earth 6242YH or triple & earth 6243YH. Others of interest could be 6181YH meter tails, single-core earthing cable type 6491.

You need to get hold of a copy of the 17th Edition Wiring Regs, aka BS7671, and the accompanying "On Site Guide" which has loads of useful guidance for domestic and small commercial installations and which will steer you through the requirements for bathrooms.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back