Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RON express test

Status
Not open for further replies.

shvet

Petroleum
Aug 14, 2015
RU
We need some means to quick measure preliminary RON of a petroleum blend. We know that chromatographs are extensively used for this purpose but this will be our last option.
Please advise a method or equipment or tool for to measure RON of a mix of hydrocarbons streams and octane boosters (oxygenates and aromatic amines).

Any experience will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you want to try that when evaluating a crude blend, or a base gasoline stream? Evaluating crude is probably way too preliminary for an accurate octane rating estimate. That's more of a final gasoline product trimming exercise.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Im out of my pay grade, but it may be these. ASTM D2700 and 2268 (Gas Chromatography )

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Let me rephrase - I am looking for a device for express measurement of preliminary RON before applying classic methods like engine or chromatograph. Do you know such?

Max the C8, C9 & C10 content?

composition before boosters added
C7-.....~60%mol
C8......~20%mol
C9......~15%mol
C10.....~5%mol
C11+....~0.5%mol

Only two methods to analyze RON are by chromatography or by test engine. I have not seen any new methods being proposed for this.

Blend octane numbers estimates are obtained using blending octane numbers (not true octane numbers) for each of the components in the blend. This is discussed in section 12.2 of Glen Handwerk and James Gary's "Petroleum Refining" book - 3rd edn. MON and RON blend octane numbers for several components and petroleum refinery fractions are also presented in Table 12.1. This table does not have blend octane values for octane boosters. See if you can find values for these boosters elsewhere.

Yes, you can estimate via calculations and std component values, but he apparently wants to actually measure them somehow. I only know of those two ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back