Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roof Live Load Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

twells12

Structural
Mar 18, 2005
US
When should the roof live load be non reducible? It is reducible per IBC 2003 and 2006 for structural elements with tributary area over 200 sf. I see no reference to when a structures roof live load should not be reducible if the tributary area is over 200 SF.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot reduce live loads of 100 psf or greater.

Technically a live load, although the code might term and deal with it separately, snow loads should not be able to be reduced either since since the load is uniform when it falls - it falls on the whole roof, not just part of it, and probably drifts too. Hence no supported area reduction for structural framing members.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

mike-
I would always consider snow as a roof load regardless of whether it is a deck or whatever else it may be. Roof loads are not reducible per code, correct?

In general, yes. However, a waterproof deck is technically a "roof" over the unit below. Technically, at 40 psf LL, that is area reduceable, although the structural members probably will never have enough contributory area for the reduction to be utilized.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

the building codes allow for a roof live load reduction for tributary area and roof slope. The equation in the IBC is Lr=LoR1R2. R1 is for tributary area above 200 sq. ft. R2 is a reduction factor for roof slope above 4:12. Snow load is different than roof live load. I live in a municipality that does not allow any roof live load reduction. 20 psf no matter the tributary area or roof slope.

If you read the code carefully, it states that only the loads stated in the Live Load Table are reducible. neither minimum roof live load, paritition loads, nor snow loads are listed in that table, so by the letter of the code, they are not reducible. Please note that yes, i did say partition loads are live loads. check the code.

VIPE,

I agree with you that by a strict reading of the code only live loads in the table are reducible. It is not, however, the intent of the code to dissallow the reduction of the partition live load. I got a code clarification opinion from ICC which stated that partition live loads were indeed reducible.

IBC 1607.11.2: Reduction in roof live loads.
The minimum uniformly distributed roof live loads, Lo, in Table 1607.1 are permitted to be reduced according to the following provisions.

1607.5 Partition loads. In office buildings and in other buildings where partition locations are subject to change, provisions for partition weight shall be made, whether or not partitions are shown on the construction documents, unless the specified live load exceeds 80 psf. The partition load shall not be less than a uniformly distributed live load of 15 psf.

Willis V you commented on my previous thread.

All above, I started a thread on this very subject re partition loads, considered Live in ASCE-7. My question was the interpretation of ...'In office buildings and in other buildings where partitions are subject to change ...'. My question was would you consider residential apartment buildings and hotels to be buildings where the partitions are subject to change? and therefore require a minimum partition allowance of 15psf? For seismic the effective weight must include 10psf where a partition allowance is used. Have a hot one going on with a local building official on this one so any comments, experience or opinions would be appreciated. My opinion in these types of buildings (residential apartments and hotels) the probability of moving partitions or unknown partitions, as compared to an office building is zero, fire separations between suites, especially when the occupancy live load is 40 psf residential vs 50 psf of an office which will dictate an future use of the building at the end of the day. Looking for some input here. Has a huge seismic and foundation implications.
Don't know how to reference this previous thread so I'll bring it back up as it stopped after WillisV's reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back