Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rookie looking for advice with Labview for a Dynomometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob8907

Aerospace
Apr 2, 2010
US
We are looking to build a dyno for a custom application and considering the use of Labview as the software. I have a friend that has Labview but rarely uses it or knows much about it. I am willing to get a seat if it will do what we need.

For now, all we need to do is bring in approx 12 channels of data and create graphs to compare data as well as view real time data. later, we will want to better automate the system to operate the braking portion and throttle in a closed loop system where we command variables and allow the software to run the system. I am not sure if outputs are anything that Labview can even do.

I have never turned a page with Labview so really wondering how intuitive it really is and if there are better packages out there for what we want to do. I am also open to open source type programs that may be real close to what we need and tweak from there. Nothing set in stone on the software side.

On the hardware, we we will have several analog sensors inputting to a DAQ card and then back to the PC. The question was raised whether we will have to have signal conditioning before the DAQ card. I honestly cannot answer just yet. We have not selected the DAQ card either.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it can do all you are asking, plus. I maintained a software package, built in Labview, for control and data acquisition in a couple of dyno test cells. I found it easy and intuitive. It has drivers and libraries for a variety of comm protocols (we used CAN, GPIB, and ModBus+)and, when I did get stuck, their customer support was very helpful.

I agree - it can definitely do what you want although you will almost certainly need signal conditioning unless you use a cRIO or cDAQ with modules that meet your requirements.

I had to assemble a motor duynomometer in a very short space of time and LabVIEW proved invaluable. It was all done on a tight budget using USB based interfaces with analogue measurements, an analogue out, CAN and CANopen interfaces for control of the test motor and the drive motor.

The big advantage for me has been the ease with which I can add features such as control loops, different displays etc.

I would also agree that National Instruments customer support has been excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back