Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROOT GAP for square weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE52

Materials
Dec 29, 2005
IR
Hi every body,
please tell me according to any standard how much gap should be considered for welding the 1 inch stainless steel pipe by TIG process in square weld _____ll_____ . this pipe is for drainage line.(can we weld without any gap? penetration is essential?)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are so many variables, it's difficult to provide an answer. The best thing to do, is ask the welder, assuming he's qualified and competent. I will say that it is possible to achieve full penetration on 1" sch 40 using a sq groove with little or no gap, but, again, consult with the welder for your specific application.

I have clients that weld square groove butt joints up to 1/8 without any root opening. They qualify their welders on nickel alloy, austenitic stainless, and carbon steel pipe using GTAW and a root purge of argon. The results have been very good.

Al

For small diameter pipe/tube welds with wall thickness < .150", you should consider automatic autogenous (no filler metal) welding systems; square bevel, no gap. A zero gap may also be used for autogenous manual GTAW welds.
When weld filler metal is required by spec. or due to thickness, open the root to 1/16", especially when two or more weld passes are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back