Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ropeway engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoengineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2009
US
I have an interest in doing on-site inspections of ropeways (i.e., chairlifts at ski resorts). I think this would be fun. I currently work in aerospace with very large jets, and ropeways are signficantly different than airplanes in many respects.

How does one go about entering this field for this kind of work? And how would I go about soliciting work from ski resorts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like the amount of work would be limited...

But I could be wrong as the sky is the limit.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Can't imagine them doing this more than once a year, but each lift could take a few hours, possibly, so looking at about 2 weeks work.

However, it's likely to done prior to actual ski season, so no free lift tickets would be my bet. If that was what you're looking for, you might be better off volunteering for ski patrol.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

While I wouldn't want to turn down free lift tickets, I think that'd be rather unethical. (Besides, at the rates that PEs charge for consulting, we can afford to buy our own lift tickets!)

I just think ski lifts are cool. Actually, I think pretty much any people moving device is cool (space shuttle, airplanes, cars, trains, etc), and has a lot of interesting engineering goes into things that move people.

I'll keep my ears and eyes open. The right opportunity might pop up someday.

The detachable chair lifts are uber-cool, of course, if for no other reason than allowing you get onto the chair while it's moving VERY slowly, and once past the carousel, you zip along to the top, where another carousel detaches your chair and slows everything down again.

While I've not heard of any failures, these lifts do create additional wear/tear on the clamps that attach the chairs to the rope. I'm also amazed at the amount of cold-working on the rope. A rope made from copper would never be able to handle the repetition bending and unbending; we had a service loop for flex cable that work hardened and failed in less than 100000 cycles. Of course, when you do the numbers, it comes out that even assuming a 100000-cycle limit, that's almost 10 years of life assuming 120 days of usage per year at 7 hrs/day. So replacing the rope every 4 yrs or so would ensure no failures during operation.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

"too many people and too many moving parts"

Kind of like passenger aircraft then;-)

(Except of course then the company is usually carrying the insurance.)

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Mike,

Absolutely it is a high liability work. And the added liability (while a pain for insurance purposes) is what fascinates me so much about transportation engineering in general - there is a lot of emphasis for safety, reliability, and inspectability.

IRStuff,

They have incidents a lot more often that a guy would think. Typically a wind gust comes up and detaches the chair when it's not supposed to be detached, or the wire rope falls off of the sheave. In my home state, they had a cable start to break apart and a gondola fell and fortuanate the backup cables held...in each of these cases professional engineers were hired to do an investigation and write a report as to the cause and recommended corrective action. Very interesting stuff.

(Plus, ski resorts are some of the most scenic places to spend time at, and on top of a tower your view is incredible.)

Cedar Bluff Engineering

Photoengineer...these devices might be controlled by the respective state department that regulates amusement rides and devices. Many states have specific requirements for inspection of amusement rides and devices.

Keep in mind this is a high liability exposure market.

But airplanes get inspected every time they fly - by the co-pilot or pilot. Also, they have very strict maintenance schedules. They are also engineered to death - in other words EVERY part is designed and redesigned and tested and retested. And most critical systems have back up. Now you know why a new 787 Dreamliner costs almost $200 million!

When was the last time you heard of part failure bringing a passenger jet down - maybe TWA FL800 about 10 years ago....

But I just don't see this level of engineering or maintenance in a simple ski lift.

So, the liability might be high but like I said -- somebody has to do it. GO FOR IT.

On a lighter note: The Saturn 5 rocket that took us to the moon - if 99.99% of all the parts were working correctly - that left over 1,000 that weren't!!!!! And it was built by the lowest bidder!!!

Have fun skiing - it is FUN!!!

You could inspect parasailing cables in the off season...

Seriously, maybe there is a market here if you can show a premium reduction greater than your invoice, plus avoidance of all that pesky bad press when an accident happens. Maybe contact Lloyds of London or similar to get some info on potential premium reductions when equipment is inspected by an expert. Who would of course be you.

If you like to travel I could see this being a fantastic job. Swing through the mountains for eight weeks, inspecting as you go, and write it all off. Then do the same down in the Gulf.

I think you may be a genius...

Skiing in Vermont last weekend, I was pondering the very same thing! And some years back, I had a chance to review the maintenance and inspection procedures for a gondola type operation which carried the public. What I found out was that these things are inspected daily mechanics who are competent but not necessarily engineers. The inspectors have check lists of what to look for. Anomolies, such as a few metal filings observed at a tower, are subsequently investigated by engineers. Any major issues are brought up with the equipment manufacturer, which was a company in Switzerland.

Ski areas are huge major facilities with roads, bridges, snow making systems, streams, maybe some dams, buildings, sidewalk heating systems, etc. My guess is that they hire out much of the engineering work but have engineer types on staff to administer the work.

One time I was offered a job as an engineer (inspector) for Six Flags. Sounded like a lot of fun at the time. But I simply got scared and didn't want that level of responsibility. Pay wasn't that great - but good.

But I do design buildings that house more than 300 people. So what was the difference??

I don't know - just felt I wouldn't have the control I needed.??

A friend of my wife's was the inspector for the Six Flags up here near D.C. where the girl lost her feet on the Superman(?) ride. She got us season tickets the first year we were together... after going there twice, I told her never again was she to waste any money on purchasing me a ticket. The place is filthy, the people are rude and/or have a completely "I couldn't care less" attitude, and the rides just look like their not maintained.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

what fascinates me so much about transportation engineering in general - there is a lot of emphasis for safety, reliability, and inspectability.

You'd like to think so wouldn't you.

Unfortunately it's not actually that way.

At darien lake a vet w/o legs was allowed on to a superman (I think) roller coaster. Very bad part was the lateral retention is a boss that stick forward between your legs if you have them. He did not survive the landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back