Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROPS material = ASTM A500 Grade C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNGBrick

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
CA
In a previous post, thread330-142186, member rorschach referred to ASTM A 500 Grade C as "ROPS tubing":

"ASTM A500 comes in three grades:
Grade C (also known as ROPS or Roll Over Protection Systems, tubing. It is used for roll cages and cold temp structures) This material is comparatively new and my EMJ book doesn't cover it, but it is stronger than Grade B and has Charpy requirements for cold temp service. I believe it is roughly similar to ASTM A 574 Gr50 in both strength and chemistry but I could be wrong."

I believe the reference is made with respect to materials used in building roll-over protective structures in accordance with ISO 8082 and SAE J 1040 (now cancelled) and other similar standards. These standards require the material to meet minimum Charpy V-notch impact strength requirements.

Having read through ASTM A500 - 03a, I see no reference to "Charpy requirements for cold temp service" other than a general disclaimer warning against use as "...dynamically loaded elements in welded structures ... where low-temperature notch-toughness properties may be important."

Other than tensile requirements, the only other apparent difference between the Grade C material appears to be in chemical composition where the Grade C is held to a lower carbon content.

However, I have heard other people, mainly sales agents for steel suppliers, refer to ASTM A500 Grade C as "ROPS tubing". When querried, none have provided supporting evidence for this claim.

1) Does anyone know the rationale behing these assertions given that the ASTM A500 standard makes no reference to the term "ROPS" and does not specify impact properties?

2) Does the lower carbon content specified in Grade C give the material a better chance of meeting the CVN requirements of ISO 8082, etc?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back