Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rosemount 3051 Pressure transmitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeandhu

Electrical
Feb 20, 2003
SA
Could any one tell me if these transmitters can be re-calibrated after changing the sensor module to a different range eg from -250"H2O to 250"H2O, to a new sensor module of say -1000"H2O to 1000"H2O. Without any special software or help from the manufacturers etc. As my company are to miserable to spend money on new transmitters.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We do not know the exact model details of your transmitter.
But, in general, the Rosemount 3051 series pressure transmitter can be recalibrated, as follows:

1. If you have a HART calibrator (eg. Rosemount model 375 or 275, or any other make), you can connect the calibrator clips in parallel to the transmitter (already installed at site), read the present calibration data (i.e., range) and change it to your new data. Then downloiad the new data to the transmitter from the calibrator and presto - your transmitter id re-calibrated ( all in less than 5 minutes, and even from the comfort of your control room). Only ensure that the loop resistance in the transmitter circuit is more than 250 ohm.

2. In case you do not have a HART calibrator, re-calibrate the transmitter the traditional way:
Take it out to a laboratory / test bench and power it up with a 24V DC (or whatever DC voltage you use, less than 45V DC) with a multimeter in series (set to read mA DC).
With no pressure applied to the transmitter pressure inlet, check that the current output is 4 mA. If it is not, adjust the 'Zero' screw.
Apply the maximum pressure for which you want the 20mA DC output from the transmitter (i.e., your transmitter span) through a manometer or similar pressure generator. Adjust the transmitter current output to 20mA DC using the 'Span' screw.
Your transmitter is now recalibrated.
You should recheck the Zero setting described above after the span setting.

Hope this solves your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back