Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotameter Correction Factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamf

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2015
US
I have a rotameter measurement from a compressed air system. The rotameter is calibrated for air at STP, so I'm trying to get a real SCFM value by correcting for the compressed air pressure and temperature. In looking for correction equations I've found 3 different methods so far that can result in significantly different conversions.

The instrument manufacturers that I've seen all use the form with the temperature and pressure ratios under a square root:
Qs = Qi * sqrt((Ts*Pa)/(Ta*Ps))​
Where Qs = true SCFM
Qi = indicated flowrate ('SCFM')​
Ts = calibration temp (R)​
Ta = actual temp (R)​
Pa = actual pressure (psia)​
Ps = calibration pressure (psia)​

Omega: (3rd page)
Matheson correction tables are based on the square root version: Cole-Parmer: King Instrument (Gas Correction Factor on the bottom right):
ASTM D3195 (2004) "Standard Practice for Rotameter Calibration" uses a different conversion factor:
Qs = Qi * Ts*Pa/(Ta*Ps)*sqrt(Ts/Ta)​

Lastly, the discussion here seems to indicate that you only need to use the ideal gas law to convert to actual SCFM, if I'm reading it correctly.
Qs = Qi*(Ts*Pa)/(Ta*Ps)​
I think that the 3rd method assumes the rotameter's reading is a true ACFM, which I don't think is the case?

Anybody have any insight?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back