Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotary Gear Flow Divider 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilcram

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2004
US
I am looking at purchasing a Rotary Gear type hydraulic flow divider. My limited research has indicated that you get what you pay for with these products. With that in mind, I am looking for a very high quality Rotary Gear type flow divider. I have located a few suppliers, but I don't have any way of knowing if they are good quality products or not.

If you know of a source for a good quality rotary gear flow divider I would like to hear from you.

Thank you in advance.

Nilcram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nilcram...you are quite right...you get what you pay for.

The level of accuracy you need when synchronising cylinders dictates the flow divider that is used.

In my personal experience...the bottom end of the range is the unit from Delta Power. These units are generally more competitively priced and give an accuracy of around 90%.

Next come the unit from Slack and Parr. The prices of these untis is 70%-80% higher than the Delta Power unit. For your money you get a flow divider that is upto 99.5% efficient.

Finally...I have used a Bucher flow divider for a U.S Navy application. The unit is very expensive...however it is only slightly more efficient than the Slack and Parr unit.

Remember...when selecting a flow divider...drive it as fast as possible. The faster they run , the more efficient they are.

Hydromech.

hydromech, many thanks for your helpful insight. I will be talking to Slack and Parr, and Bucher to see what they have to offer.

Again, thank you for your help.

Nilcram

"FIEROWISEGUY" Asked:

fIEROWISEGUY (Industrial) 25 Feb 05 18:15
Is there any reason not to consider a valve type flow divider?

The main reason is valve type flow divifers are energy wasters since they are restricters, and even more so when the actuators are unevenly loaded.

On uneven loads pressure at the inlet of a valve type flow divider is equal to the highest outlet pressure. A motor flow dividers inlet pressure is the avearge of the sum of the outlet pressure.

Bud Trinkel CFPE
HYDRA-PNEU CONSULTING, INC.
fluidpower1 @ hotmail.com

the valve type dividers also rely on this pressure drop to do their control. At low or high flows outside their design range, accuracy drops dramatically.

Basically, spool dividers throttle the lowest loads to drive their emergy demand up to equal the highest load. They force the pump to supply the highest energy, then throttle the excess to heat.

Rotary dividers transfer excess energy from the light circuits to the heavy circuits, without throttling and withminimal losses.

I second bud's comments, they are energy wasters. Usually picked due to low OEM cost in specific applications.

kcj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back