Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotate in Animator(motion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azum

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2007
GB
Hi
I am trying to show a latch which has to rotate 90 degrees before coming out of its socket. I am doing an explode which I will take into a motion study and eventually send off as a e-drawing with the animation attached

I know I saw this as a competition winner way back (2001?)

But I cannot work out how to do it

Any suggestions All appreciated.
SW2009SP1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Dan
Yes i can see how this would work but when I tried it it flicked from 90 degrees several times and settled where it started Suspect a glitch in system but will have to investigate further.
I guess you would supress and unsurpress the two mates to try and force the movement at the right point in the timeline

Many thanks
Clive

Clive, you're experiencing a classic frustration with Animator--namely, that prescribed motion won't behave as it ought with Animator. Which version are you using?

Here's how to solve the problem (maybe). The only possible fix for things like this is to confine all possible directions of motion except one. So to rotate something, it must not be able to move in any other possible direction. If you need that part to then move in another direction/axis, you must use a different part--or your motion will randomly flip in the way you're currently seeing.

When I do this, I actually add other parts to the assembly with their extremely limited motion directions. So let's say I need to animate a tail gate (such as we see at Tommygate.com--those were done in Animator). I have rotational motion to open the gate, but then the gate unfolds and then drops to the ground. This takes many, many parts in the assembly, which are all carefully limited in their particular motion. I start with the rotating open tailgate, which can move only 90°. It makes its rotation, I show the next tailgate waiting in place for the next motion type (unfolding) and quickly hide the "old" rotating tailgate (I use increments of 0.1 seconds for hide/show items, so they're not visible in the animation). I then unfold the tailgate through its 180° unfolding, quickly show the next tailgate, quickly hide the "old" unfolding tailgate. I then lower the newly-shown tailgate.

Note that each of the repeating elements above can move in only one way at a time, and is otherwise constrained by mates. Angle and limit mates constrain the degree of motion given in the motions allowed.

This method gets very confusing, and has its own problems with other Animator bugs, but after you've carefully crafted a script to follow to avoid your own confusion while building the animation (you cannot edit such an animation, or the whole thing will fail--it must be done right the first time), this sort of thing is possible. The animations I did at Tommygate.com are proof.

Good luck.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

Many thanks Jeff and Jeff.

I think a bit more careful scripting will certainly help and retaining the parts other that assuming they will stay where they are put
I will keep on with this looking at your suggestions as its something I need to do ofter

PS Very impressed with the tailgates. I have done some good flybys in electronics but just starting to do movements with mechanical components. Much more interesting

Working in SW2009SP1

Good luck keeping your hair from being forcibly pulled out when working with the motion stuff. The frustration can be enormous. I don't (yet) know if Animator has had any improvements in 2009, but hope to find out soon.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back