Rotate isometric view 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agriego

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2003
US
Good morning,

I am working on a series of isometric explosion drawings. I've done one explosion in the default isometric view, but now I need to do an explosion from the opposite side of the model. I've tried using the arrow keys and <shift> arrow keys, but that's not helping. I need to rotate the view about the Y axis and then save the new view. How do I do that? It was a no brainer in NX, but I'm at my wits end here. I'm about ready to chuck this POS software out the window. [banghead]

Al

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are absolutely right about SolidWorks being a POS software because you can't simply rotate to an opposite side ISO view. Definitely, throw it out the window. Or, you can create a new view that will provide you with the opposite ISO view that you need. To do this, go to your front view and then hit the spacebar. At the top, click on the third button from the left (Update Standard Views) and then select the Back view. Click on the ISO view button. Now select the second button from the left (Add new view) and name it OPP ISO (or some such name). Last, click on the fourth button from the left (Reset Standard Views). Now, whenever you need that opposite hand iso view for the assembly, simply click on the spacebar and select OPP ISO.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

to rotate
Use the Alt key and click on the y-axis on your coordinate system icon (red, green, blue arrows, usually lower left) you model will spin about which ever axis you click by 15° (or whatever increment you have set in options)

to save view
In the "view orientation" select the "new view" icon (looks like a little telescope with and asterisk above and to the right) then just give a name. I would not "reset your standard views as JM suggested as it seems like you only need additional iso-type views

JMirisola: Why couldn't that have been in the online help? I didn't see anything like that.

djhurayt: That worked like a charm! So simple, but I didn't see that anywhere in the online help. Either I missed it or they had it hidden in another section. Thanks!!

I was able to find a macro that created 8 isometric views automatically, 4 topside iso views and 4 lower iso views. You can find it here: It worked like a charm!

Thanks to both of you for your help!

[thanks]

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back