Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotate Plane view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimpan

Mechanical
May 30, 2008
SE
I am having a problem with the plane orientation.
When hitting "normal to" on a plane, I find the sketch rotated, see image.
Is there a way to alter the plane orientation? Everytime I create a new plane, it is oriented in this rotated way which is a pain when sketching..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The origin and original planes are randomly placed. Its from scanned data.

Basically I want the line that is pointed to in the attached image to be horizontal when pressing "normal to" on the "middle plain".

SolidWorks orients planes based on a mathematical calculation of the kernal based more on relation to origin. Because of that even a plane created by 3 points will not have it's horizontal direction between points 1 & 2. The only way to achieve the orientation you want easily is to create a sketched surface plane and even then it may not be correctly oriented. Even a 0 offset ref plane may still orient as your middle plane does. I assume you already tried making a plane through the annotated line normal to it's perpendicular one attached and one through it and at angle to that plane. If not give that a try

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back