Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rotating a liner during cementing

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbreeze

Mechanical
Dec 27, 1999
US
I was hoping to quantify the torque required to turn a 7-5/8 39lb/ft (ID-6.625) liner in an 8-1/2” newly cemented hole. Assume no inclination in the well bore. This is not a special case; I just want to get the formulation down. From dynamics we know that T=I*ω. The moment of inertia is not that hard to get, but how can we account for friction due to the cement. The formulation must include the fluids and I am not sure how to set it up. Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, Are you really sure you want to do this? This sounds like a bad idea.
If you really want to know the required torque then friction is far more significant than moment of inertia. Well deviation almost always exists. If you can find the torque during drilling when bit was not on bottom this may give you some idea.

Rotating a liner is common during cementing...it happens regularly to enhance the bond. Somewhere out there in the world today, a liner is being rotating. Given a simple vertical well using API Class A 14.1lb/gal cement. Let's say a 7-5/8” 1000 ft. liner is being rotated in a 8-1/2” hole without scratchers. I am sure that friction will manifest itself in terms of the cements viscosity.
I’m just not a fluids guy and a reference to any publication on the Torque required to rotate this liner is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back