Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotating Components in Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneilldm

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2001
US
Often when placing components in an assembly I'll initially use "Insert" and "Ctrl-Alt-middle mouse button" to rotate a part into position (we're using rel. 2001). I use this for tubing all the time but now I have a simple louver I want to place and it won't let me use the "Ctrl-Alt-middle mouse button" method to rotate it. What's up with that?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure the "Use Assumptions" box isn't checked... sometimes ProE will assume an orient constraint (this is supposed to make assembling screws easier).

I have seen people rotate parts to position in an assembly, but I do not agree that is the way to go.
Why are you not using a dimension or other reference? You will find out sooner or later that rotating components into position will not always keep them in that position over the life of the assembly. Depending on the circumstances you will find that when some parts are drastically modified (belonging to the assembly) the parts in the assembly that were rotated into position are now out of position.
I would suggest that you completely constrain the part or sub-assembly by using dimensions or other references, since these types of constraints are more rigid over the life of the assembly model.

Thanks for your replies.

The "Use Assumptions" box does come up checked but then I uncheck it and it still won't let me rotate the part.

The reason that I don't want to use dimensions at this time to constrain my component is because I am in the very early stage of a design. I have a lot of stuff I just want to get ruffed-out. I don't want to spend a lot of time on every little detail at this point. It's just the angle of a louver, its not really very important.

ohio30,

What sort of trick are you using to get parts to rotate applying constrants. I am having lots of problems puting constrants on parts that need to be fliped 180. The only way I can get the part constaned is to first rotate it to the apromaxate oriantation. I have one part that mates to another instance of it's self after fliping front to back (180) and rotating 90 degrees around.

Andy

ohio30,

If you are applying any other constraints in addition to your Insert, it might be that the insert surface and the additional constraint are not exactly perpendicular. Does the constraint window indicate that the component is fully constrained?

Andy,
Use the Align/Oriented or Mate/Oriented to fix the rotation of a part.

Is it possible to rotate parts you're assembling in Wildfire using the method of holding down the Alt key? It works for dragging, but not for rotating for me :-(. In 2001 it works perfectly.

As regards assembling by dragging the part, if the computer picks a mate constraint when it should have picked an align constraint click on the button with a bent arrow under the constraints list between the remove constraint and the fix button in the assembly window. This flips the constraint over. Also try using orient constraints instead of align constraints. This can help if the part surface can't be moved to the plane you want it aligned to.

It's not usually good practice to drag parts into their assembled positions though - I'm guessing you know this already though P-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back