Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotating Drum - Face Sealing Mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

ella0509

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
GB
Hello all.

Does anyone know what the sealing mechanism involves in sealing the two opposing flow areas from one another in continually rotating devices - similar to these:

I have a similar sort of problem where I need to seal against the rotating face. I was considering using an inflatable elastomeric seal with some sort of PTFE coating or PTFE lip seal - anybody had any experience of such things?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use a system for industrial sized blenders and cookers that comprises a white silicone elastomer and PTFE coated formed fiber rings. We rarely exceed 60 RPM and with a 6" seal face that's about 19 inches per second on a 63rms stainless steel surface. Your devices probably rotate considerably slower so friction heating and lubrication shouldn't be an issue. Try 'MECO Custom Seals' and look at the AH /AP series.

Since you already have the air flows available, have you considered an air purge labyrinth? Use differential area and pressure (shear) to keep the wet air from the dry, eliminating the need for a mechanical seal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back