Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rotating pneumatic hose problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

duk748

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2007
US
hello - i currently have a rotating frame that contains 2 air cylinders which turn 2 levers - the frame is run on a solid shaft thru a set of bearings attached to a column - i have to route air & electric lines thru this frame to the lever cylinders & around the lift cylinder that sits in fron of the shaft -i see no way of keeping the air & electric lines from rotating w/ the frame because the lines must go down the column to an electric box & air panel - i cannot use a rotary union due to the shaft being solid & the lift cylinder in front (no space to bend tubing or cables) - has anyone encountered a problen like this or something similar - maybe a use for a robotic tube for the lines - the frame rotates 180 degrees in one direction & then reverses in the other - any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're convinced you cannot modify to a hollow shaft & use a union, then perhaps you can create a static system above or below the frame that will accommodate the rotation. Something similar in thought as how the robotic waterjet companies set up a series of tubing coils to handle extreme robot joint rotation.

similar to this:

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

hello again & thank you for the info - that is a great idea - thank you very much - it is much appreciated - unfortunately i was out of the office yesterday & our vp of engineering has his own idea about this so i am out of it - i saw the preliminary layout & it looks like a lot of complex pieces welded together to form an octopuss! - wish i could use this idea - oh well easy come easy go - thank you anyway & i will keep this for use at a latter time -

duk748,

You might want to present another option to your boss. There are many companies that manufacture rotary unions that pass air, water, power, etc. I've even seen rotary unions that pass water and power in the same housing. One of the companies that I've used in the past is Rotary Sytems ( Good luck...

Rich....[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back