Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotating Skyscraper in Dubai 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1D

Structural
Feb 22, 2004
Structural fellows,

You may have heard the news of rotating skyscraper in Dubai, the world first dynamic architecture. See from the link:

What do you think? What would be the challenge in stucture design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does this mean that structural engineers will become mechanical engineers or will be replaced by mechanical engineers?

The projected plans are amazing, but there are few buildings that would out-do the Burj El Arab(?) Hotel there that was opened a few years ago. The hotel is the only 7-star (not just 5-star) in the world. I was lucky enough to get a personal tour without paying the rediculous amount ($50?) to walk inside.

The rotating building poses unique problems that will not be experienced except in some seimic solutions.

If you do work there, you better be ready for a fast track, irregular work and ability to respond to problems and changes quickly.

The ability to solve problems seems to overshadow the cost IF the scedule is not compromised. Pride is important and will be paid for.

The residential development off shore is truely amazing.

If you have a chance, take a look at the timeline of construction of Dubai for the past 5 or 10 years. There is a slide show that I will try to find. I have the PPT presentation that I can post once I find out how to.

Dick

I would think that a structural engineer would design the lift shaft/spine and the moving parts would be designed by a mechanical engineer.

I expect that the residents will get seasick every time there is a big wind due to the lateral translation and rotation combined.

This will be like designing a new type of jetplane but without the same amount of lead time. I wouldnt touch it with a 10'(3.05m) pole.

csd

This is simple... just use a bunch of hoverboard pads like they did in Back to the Future II, and "Rosie" from the Jetsons could clean the apartments too! :)

i've eaten at a one too. Also on the top...

Irwin P. Fletcher LLC has got the design contract for the Dubai tower. From what I understand, the design will heavily rely on ball bearings.

A guy in New Jersey designed a house so that his
studio was always in the sun during the day and then
returned to its morning positon overnight.
This was a ball bearing design. I would expect that
a large building would require a roller bearing and
possibly a three roller type or a combined ball/roller
type bearing. Fancy plumbing arrangement as you can
guess.

My concept would have been a conical structure like a wedding cake with rotation at second level only. All the upper floors would have the rotating view.

Seems like one of those 'we did it to see if we could.' What is the utility of this design (that is, what additional benefit over a non rotating building is there). Such a design derives from the same 'logic' that causes a grown but perhaps intoxicated man to scale an 1000ft telecommunications tower and realize when he sobers up that it's a long way down from the top (happened in St. Louis, Missouri recently)--he did it because he wanted to see if it could be done. The man got down by sliding down one of the guide wires, burning his hands and arms I think in the process since he didn't have gloves.

It will be interesting to see if the building is actually built.

Looks like they anticipate having each floor individually controlled. So no more pretty spiral, just a mess like the figure on the right.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

My wife gets dizzy sitting on a porch swing. How many people in this building will need barf bags at their desks I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back