Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rotational Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdam

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2007
GB
How do I go about testing the following - is there a standard (Like Mil-STd-810F)?

If a component is placed on the rotor of a helicopter blade then what vibration test level should be used.

The unit will experience mainly a constant G which is dependent on rotational speed and radius from the centre line.

However there will also be some random vibration I guess on top of this.

How would you qualification test such an installation? Do you use a centrifuge or do you also need to simulate the vibration at the same time.......or can you do separate tests?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry to reply to my own post but I don't know how to edit the original one.......

If a component is spinning at constant rpm then is the main concern that it is strong enough to withstand the G.......if it lasts a couple of minutes then will it tend to last indefinitely (the component is an electronics unit so maybe this is different to a metal). I'm thinking along the lines that the G is a static load.

However if the G is failrly high and now there's a random vibration put on top of this then is this worse than just the random part without the steady state part? If so then what effect does the random have etc.?

Final thought......if the rotation is started and stopped (as I said it's on a helicopter rotor shaft) then do I also need to simulate this.....is this the most damaging part? There's no neagative G on the component so how do I simulate this........starting and starting a centrifuge would work but can it also be done with a driven pendulum to simulate the pulsing of the G?

Sorry but I'm sure this is well known by anyone who works on rotating engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back