Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rough Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonesP

Automotive
Jun 25, 2015
CA
Can a Rough Offset of a Facet Body be thickened? The rough offset did what I needed now I need to thicken the part to a usable solid. Running NX 9.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It works for me, but then it does depend on the shape of the surface.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It's a firewall, so a fairly complicated surface. It tells me "the offset distance might be greater than the radius of curvature of the face or the offset face might intersect itself." Is there any other way for me to extrude the part? It doesn't have to be all that thick either, but I need a workable solid.

Also, "Extrude Facet Body" didn't work for me in the first place for some reason, it doesn't give me errors, previews, anything.

After creating the 'zero' distance 'Rough Offset' of the original faceted body, create a second 'Rough Offset', referencing the surface created in the first operation, with the distance set to the desired thickness of the final model. Now create 'Ruled Surfaces' between the outside edges of the first sheet body and the outside edges of the second sheet body and then 'Sew' them together.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The shape and curves of the sheet made it difficult to use ruled surfaces, but I used "pull face" then "copy face" and sewed it together making a solid body.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back