Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Route planning and route data with Google Earth and Matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

durablack2

Automotive
Jun 25, 2013
US
I am looking to use a program to download road route data from say Point A to Point B ( things like altitude, distance, speed limit, etc.) for a simulation. Does anyone know if it is possible to do so with Google Earth or if Matlab offers a toolbox for doing such things? (I understand things like speed limit may be more difficult to get). Ultimately I would like to be able to run a simulation with as realistic road conditions as possible.

If not possible with google earth / matlab, anyone know a good way to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I appreciate the help, however, I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for. It looks like that program is useful for creating maps and layouts of geographical regions. I don't think I was perfectly clear, but what I'm looking for would be a program or method that would allow me to have the exact route data to go from say Atlanta to Jacksonville Florida, and ideally that data set would have include the following for each incremental distance - Distance, speed limit, altitude. I do not need exact geographical latitude and longitude, although it would be nice for verification purposes of route integrity. So as an example I would columns in Excel that are like this:

Distance (m)

Speed (km/h)

Altitude (m)

Of course it may not be exactly like that, but if something can get me close that would be better than nothing.

Thanks.

Thanks for the links guys. The doogal site is perfect for what I need right now. Eventually I will need to create my own program for this so the Google Maps API site will become my best friend (either that or Bing). Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back