Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber Isolator Failure Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja202

Mechanical
May 30, 2013
GB
Hey, I am new to rubber engineering, was wondering if anyone has seen this type of failure of rubber before. The part is not mechanically overloaded and is made from natural rubber. I was thinking it possibly could be ozone cracking but not sure. I noticed between the cracks were small dots of white. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the part very old? It looks like some rubber parts >100 years old that I've seen in museums.
Is there stress on the parts, across the picture (perpendicular to the cracks)? That's how ozone cracks would show up.
tom

Cheers tom1953,
the part is not that old 2 or 3 years and is placed in a sealed electrical cabinet. Yes there is stress perpendicular to the cracks (compressive). Is there any way telling from the picture whether it could be caused by compressive stress and temperature or compressive stress and ozone?
Regards, Michael

Looking at the photograph I would say that the part failed due to severe ozone cracking. NR is unsuitable for longterm use in applications where ozone is generated. An EPDM-based compound would be much, much better here.

I'm not that keen on blending EPDM and NR because of the differences in rate of cure with accelerator/sulfur cure systems (NR is much faster curing compared to even the fastest curing grade of EPDM). If you go down the blend route, I suggest you use either a peroxide cure for EPDM/NR or, if you want to use a conventional accelerator/sulfur system, then use an EPDM/SBR blend (SBR is slower curing compared to NR).

ozone and/or electrical corrosion. is the part normally conductive and not in this case?

what white product is used in the formulation, can you test if the white dots are that material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back