Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rubber magnet curie point question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattE1

Industrial
Nov 26, 2012
GB
Hello

I am developing a product which uses rubber magnets. The product will occasionally be subject to boiling water for short periods of time, as will be in a kitchen environment, frequently in the sink, when vegetables etc have their boiling cooking water poured away.

Are there rubber magnets on the market that are not affected by this for both the structure of the rubber and magnetic Curie point?

To be honest I have spoken to a number of manufacturers and I am getting mixed responses. I am unsure if this is because some are ill informed or perhaps are trying to persuade me to develop in the direction which fits their supply chain.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rubber magnets usually are made of Ceramic (Ferrite) magnet material in a rubberized binder. The Curie point of Ceramic magnets is 450[sup]o[/sup]C, so you don't have to worry about boiling water demagnetizing the magnets.

What you will probably have to worry about is the water affecting the rubber binder. There are so many different formulations, most magnet providers probably don't want to issue a blanket statement saying the binder can survive long term exposure to boiling water.

My suggestion is to buy some samples from a reputable supplier and test them yourself. If you can run a continuous stream of boiling water on the samples for a couple of hours, you can be reasonably certain they'll survive most normal kitchen environments.

Get people to tell you at least what resin they are using. If they won't even tell you the generic type of binder (and rubber is not close enough) then move on.
Mike is right, the magnet is not the issue, the binder is. Put them in your rice steamer and cook them overnight. If they are crumbling move on to another source. Many rubber resins have decent water resistance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back