Rubber O-Rings and valve pieces failing in glycol engine cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAeng

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2010
US
Hey guys,

We have (3) MWM biogas engines at our plant all with same issue. Failing rubber parts in the glycol system. It’s closed loop about 40PSI 180F propylene glycol 40% mixed with deionized water

Engines are about 5 years old with 24,000hours. This problem is costing a large amount of money due to difficulty getting to the O-rings

99C61AE1-7122-410F-9ABC-0A91A4874BA7_pje6i4.jpg
94B2E521-7870-44D9-8AB3-698C27C748F5_jiqgqa.jpg
7CBF9EE2-2450-4864-99F2-FB6348FAA3EE_dgzm0y.jpg
100DECB3-633C-4B16-80B5-840DBCB1975D_q639ci.jpg
BCCDEFB5-08F6-4B97-9140-BBC6BA088BFE_rxhdll.jpg

Above are pics of typical cylinder liner O-rings and shutoff valves around the pumps. We had some other O-rings around the system with same look

Any ideas what could cause this?

We tested glycol recently at 8.5pH which is good per manufacturer specs. It is approved glycol for the engine.

We do not know what the seals are made from as MWM does not publish that

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you contact MWM in the first instance to discuss this problem in case they have a readily available alternative O ring.

According to the information I have available to me O rings made out of EPDM compounds should be satisfactory in this type of service. If you want to go the whole hog and spend a shed-load of money on a solution then O rings made from Kalrez (perfluoroelastomer - DuPont) will do the trick.

forumtowers.com

from the looks the rings have become brittle and have changed in hardness and lost elasticity. that can be caused by several things: to high a temperature, incompatibility with the coolant etc. i suggest you contact MWM first and show them the images - they may well have encountered similar problems and maybe have changed the type of rubber used for the O-rings over time. if they fail to give a satisfactorily answer you could contact a reputable supplier of O-rings and ask whether they can supply O-rings in the size you need that can withstand the temperatures encountered while in contact with a glycol/water mixture. you also might find some useful info here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back