Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rubber tube cutting machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaTactical

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2004
US
Normally I hang around in the SolidWorks forum, but I have had an idea for a while and I thought you folks here might be able to help me with it.

Some of our products include, as a component, a length of 1/4" OD Santoprene tubing. We buy this stuff in 200 foot lengths and cut it down using - I'm not making this up - a paper cutter. This is slow and one of these days I or an employee is going to cut a finger off. I have contacted a few rubber distributors, and those who are even interested in selling us pre-cut lengths want prohibitive prices.

I have been imagining some kind of simple machine where I load the coiled tubing on a spindle, then pull a crank that pulls a set length of tubing through some paired wheels, then slices the tubing with the final arc of the crank. Then the crank is released and pulled again for another piece. We have multiple lengths up to about 9 inches, so I would need to be able to easily reset the length of travel of the crank for these various parts.

Getting fancy, I see no reason why a stepper motor couldn't be hooked up to the same device to fully automate our rubber cutting. But that's a subject for another day. A simple hand-operated machine would be wonderful enough at this point.

Is anyone away of an off-the-shelf machine like this? Failing that, how would I go about getting someone to design and build one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very simple idea.

Use a set of pinch rollers that are cranked by your left hand that moves the tube against a pre-set stop which defines the length you need. Keeping your left hand on the crank use your right hand to engage the paper cutter blade. You will still be able to count to 10.

Funniest machine I EVER saw to do somthing like this was a an old reel lawnmower that was hooked to a motor. Turned it on and fed the rubber right into it. Lengths weren't always equal but good enough. Also HIGHLY dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back