rule of thumb design

Status
Not open for further replies.

HvZ

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2002
AU
Hi all,

I am collecting all "rules of thumb" examples in engineering used to either design or give a design a quick sanity check. Could you please e-mail any that you use or know of to me. If you know the origin or explanation (maths) behind it, I would appreaciate it.

I think it is very interesting and have to date not yet found a database of these "quick short cuts", which is the result of years of experince in engineering.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out Elwin Seelye, the Civil Engineering Design manual. it is chock full of civil "rules of thumb" and old design techniques. Clifford H Laubstein
FL Registered PE 58662

Don't know if these are "rules-of-thumb", but check out Michael R. Lindburg's Quick Reference for the (each discipline has their own, mine's Civil) Engineering PE Exam.

For a very reasonable price you get many of that discipline's basic formulas and tables. Even if you are not taking the exam, I would recommend it. I still use mine often.

I think the website is:

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

"Data Book For Civil Engineers"
Volumn 1 - Design
by Elwyn E. Seelye
John Wiley & Sons
a very good reference for the library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back