Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rule of thumb for tall thin tanks..economic limits or pratical limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
dear sirs,

I am looking for some guides of where to find a reference on what is rule of thumb for the max tall thin tanks we can design too .. pratically.. i am working on a retro fit of a plant capacity and we have limited flammables storage facilities so we need to be economic with our retro fits and in some cases that means going taller for the same foundations..

thanks in advance..

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Economic and practical have a lot of considerations. If you MUST have the increase in volume, but you are stuck with the footprint, your limit is probably closer to what height restrictions do you have at the location (a roof, or by air permit, or building permit, for instance), or what can be shipped. Look at distillation towers. They have a pretty high H/D ratio. The longest you can ship might be 12 to 18 meters to get on the highway. Personally I try to avoid H/D for storage tanks of >4, for a variety of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back