Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rules for sealing plans and reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr4driver

Civil/Environmental
Oct 24, 2006
US
I have a couple of questions regarding this. I understand that as a PE, I may only seal and sign documents that have been prepared under my direct supervision. Here are a couple of scenarios that I have questions about:

1. A local community requires an engineers stamp and signature on final plats for subdivision projects. The typical Engineer's Certification required on the plat states that the improvements (street, drainage, water & sewer, etc.) have been designed in accordance with the city's requirements. I have no problem with the certification; however, it makes me a little nervous to sign a plat that was actually prepared by a surveyor (and sealed by him as well), and not by me. My involvement in the plat process would typically be somewhat limited. Should I refuse to seal these plats? Or is the act of sealing them simply sealing the certification?

2. An out of state company has contacted me and requested a proposal to provide an SWPPP for a project. The city where this project is located requires this SWPPP be sealed by an engineer. I routinely prepare SWPPPs and always seal and sign them; however, I am not sure that our state department of environmental quality actually requires that the plans be prepared by an engineer, and I suspect that this company routinely develops and submits plans without an engineer's seal for other areas of the state (where the city does not specifically require any kind of local permitting for grading or erosion control). I further suspect that this company may have already prepared an SWPPP and will provide that to me and ask me to seal and sign it.

The state provides a step-by-step questionnaire that is used to go through the process of preparing the SWPPP, and it's really not rocket science. I'm happy to provide the SWPPP, and I obviously won't just stamp their document; however, how much of their initial data (maps, surveys, reports, etc.) can I actually use and still be considered in responsible charge of the project? I routinely rely on other professionals for data (surveys, geotechnical investigations, etc.) and never think twice about it.

What if I review their plan and go through the state's checklist/guide and discover that I come up with the same results? Is there ever an instance where an engineer can seal a document based on review of that document if this is clearly disclosed?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As an engineer, you are allowed to rely on the work of other professionals, such as surveyors. Unless you are a licensed land surveyor, you'll have to rely on the accuracy of their boundary survey. You can qualify your responsibility by stating on the plan exactly what your signature/seal covers...you can exclude whatever you want...they can accept or not...most likely they will accept.

As for the SWPPP, don't sign and seal anything that is not done under your responsible charge...plain and simple. You will have to validate their data if you want to apply your signature/seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back