Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjclaser

Computer
Apr 9, 2013
GB
Hi All,
Just trying to work out do many people use 'Rumblers' to rumble laser cut parts after cutting and before despatching them? If so is this to stainless parts, mild steel parts etc... or all parts???

thanks, Sjclaser.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen them around. I could confirm that two out of 50 customers of my have them. I have heard them referred to as bead blasters. I assume its the same thing.

I do like the may it makes the parts look. Completely uniform, sides, top, holes. Easy to paint, easy to weld.

Have seen them used a lot to round the edges of parts to make painting or plating easier. They will not remove burr edges simply make it not so sharp but will still be there. Is a cheap alternative to something like a lismac or webber edge rounding system.

Stainless steel parts still get the edge rounding but takes ALOT longer maybe 5 hours to round the edge.

We use several of them, mainly for Inconel alloys. As Shaun says, they will not remove anything more than light burrs, so parts with heavy dross must be hit with a belt sander before being tossed in. Cycle times will vary greatly based on piece size, material and media, but our cycles for Inconel run from 2-5 hours normally. Aluminum is closer to a half hour.

Note that this isn't the greatest process if you're going to paint or weld right after...the ground stone slurry created in the tumbler gets into all the crevices and laser grooves in the part. Welding is dirty unless all the edges are cleaned thoroughly afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back