Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running batch mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxibonne

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2008
MT
Hi

I would like to run multiple consecutive runs in Ansys. I am unfamiliar with DOS. I cannot understand the Help file:

set ANSYS100_PRODUCT=ANE3FL
set ANS_CONSEC=YES
"C:\Program Files\Ansys Inc\V100\ANSYS\bin\intel
\ansys100" -b -i vm1.dat -o vm1.out
\ansys100" -b -i vm2.dat -o vm2.out
\ansys100" -b -i vm3.dat -o vm3.out

I have figured out the vm1.dat would be the input file, and vm1.out the output file. Do not know what '-b -i' refer to.

Also, is the path given in the example the place where Ansys is installed? Do I alter that?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
-b switch is for batch mode execution. Don't remember -i, but if I remember well it should inhibit any call for user input in dialogs or so (e.g. in case of warnings or so).
The path in the example do is undoubtly where Ansys is installed. The input and output files can be written without the absolute path because they'll take the path from where the .BAT file will be launched. However, I seem to recall that you can write the full path as well (but there is a limitation in length).
There is also another way to start a batch execution: write a directives-file in APDL, then start the Ansys Program Launcher, choose "batch" and specify in- and out-put files as you would do with the "dos" method.
Regards

I think -i and -o stand for "flags" for input and output files, respectively. So when you write -i it means that the file path following that is your input file to execute. And whatever comes after -o is the output file.

Thanks cbrn and slumdogengineer.

Cbrn, yes I use the second option you suggest already, but that is only for 1 run. I will try multiple batch runs now using DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back