Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Running CAT5e in Conduit with AC/DC Control Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackberry77

Electrical
Apr 5, 2010
CA
I always though running CAT5 cables in conduits with AC/DC control cables (120 VAC, 125 VDC) was a no go. However, I am now being told that running armored CAT5 could be acceptable as the conduit is just a sleeve then. We are in Canada, can anyone comment here?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An opinion:
All cables and conductors in a raceway must be rated for the maximum voltage run in the raceway.
Is armoured CAT5 cable rated for 120 Volts AC and 125 Volts DC available?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

My understanding is as per waross', all cables must be rated for the highest voltage.
Having said that, it'd be less likely to find Cat5e (or Cat6) here rated for a higher voltage as our (LV) AC voltages are higher, typical insulation ratings are 450/750V or 0.6/1kV, which also eliminates some control cables.

EDMS Australia

As long as the Cat5 cable is insulated for the maximum voltage in the conduit, it's not an NEC violation - don't know for sure about Canada. However, as Keith says, it's not really a great idea just due to possible interference issues.

I see alot of uses of ethernet cables used for a lot of control devices such as vfds and IO blocks in field.
As many times as i see installs that I thought would fail as long as the ethernet cables are not in same raceway or wire duct then your usually ok. But have seen where ethernet cables that were ran like maybe a few feet in parallel to 480vac cabling VFd out and input power to vfds where there was noise issues.

If you can get your installers to use a split wireway of high voltage and low voltage. Where ethernet and any voltage below 50v in low voltage side you will usually have no issues with noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back