Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rust prevention on steel fixtures? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capntom

Mechanical
May 22, 2003
US
What is a good product to spray on Steel fixtures for storage up to a few years inside in a warehouse in New England?
Sizes are around 2 feet by 2 feet square, nothing monsterous. My predescesor has sprayed on WD-40 and after a few weeks there is RUST, Not good. At home and on my boat I have used Boeshield T-9 with great results. Has anybody tried Rustlick 631 ?? Or any other suggestions short of dipping in cosmolene?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you better talk to a local lubricants seller. most of them carry a range of socalled corrosion preventives that can be sprayed, brushed or dipped. generally speaking the higher viscosity the better the protection - but you need more effort to effectively treat the objects and also removal afterwards may be more cumbersome. the thinner fluids have better water repellant properties but give shorter protection.

when the objects you want to protect are moist at the time of application, it may be necessary to use a very thin fluid first to chase the moisture away from the metal surfaces and then a more viscous fluid that more or elss hardens to give the desired long term protection.

if the objects you want to protect have hollow sections that can be closed off from the air, you can use socalled vapour phase inhibitors. these are powders delivered usually in small bags that can be hung somewhere in the space to be protected - the stuff that is in them evaporates and coats the metal with a protective coating.

you can get an idea about the possibilities and grades of various anticorrosion fluids here:

You might like to try one of the products in the Dinitrol range. Some of these satisfy the demands and extreme environments placed on them in the aviation industry.

Alternatively, there are inhibitor-impregnated paper products available for wrapping directly onto items for longer term storage.

You are going to be looking for a water displacing solvent cut back rust preventive -- for multi year storage you will probably want some wax or heavy oil content so that the resulting coating will self heal.

A great deal will depend on how you want to apply the RP, and how protected the inside storage is. The other big issue is your tolerance for risk --- if you have some rust on some of the parts how big a deal will it be -- to be absolutely certain that you don't have any corrosion on the parts you will need a lot of RP and it will be very hard to remove but if a little rust on some parts would not be catastrophic then you have a whole other ball game. Pay attention to what the parts are sitting on as it is possible to get galvanic corrosion between the steel part and the steel shelf so a neutral plastic barrier might be very helpful

Again this is all about your tolerance for risk!

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant
anelson@arnengineering.com

Usually in the past I have used a thick oil, usually gear oil, and wrapped the parts in plastic. This has worked well for multi year storage in a poor environment. Just don't be afraid to dump on plenty of oil.

Luck is a difficult thing to verify and therefore should be tested often. - Me

You may want to call a RP supplier in for guidance- try Where I work, we use Volatile corrison inhibitors (VCI) bags, but I don't think the shelf life is 2 years. I would also question why are you store fixtures for two years that's considered a waste where I come from because inventory cost to store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back