Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

S Curve Vs Project schedule Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congratulations. You are entering the world of earned value analysis: the only project management tool that can status the project triumvirate of schedule, cost and scope in real time.

An EVA project's graphical representation usually follows an S curve: slow start, ramp up, ramp down.

People get hung up on the whole 'S curve' thing and then get upsett when your actual costing against their SOW doesn't fit the curve.

Months, maybe years of misary with BAE Systems on that one, if the work/schedule required by the SOW isn't "S" shaped then nor will our billing be.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

The curve should be according to your time phased effort or cost. For a long enough and complicated enough program, the shape could be quite complex.

I'm not sure why your customer would have a different curve that you, since they can only generate that curve from the submitted cost proposal, which should match your execution curve.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

They 'wanted' a typical S curve. However, with the SOW they gave us, and the way they wanted invoices against deliverables, and when the listed 'deliverables' occured in the project time-line it wasn't an S curve.

Their finance guy just would not let it go. He couldn't accept that their own SOW didn't support an S curve. Did nothing to improve my opinion of bean counters.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Hey, watch that! Our GM is/was a bean counter, and is one of the 3 best GMs I've had in 31 yrs of working.

While it's PC to dump on bean counters, there are similar types in engineering...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

There's an exception to every rule right IRstuff;-).

I too have met a few obtuse engineers, and didn't mean to imply otherwise. I haven't yet met a Bean counter that I have warm fuzzies for, at least not one I've worked closely enought with to know the difference.

KENAT,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back