Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S2 2006 Animator and Photoworks Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz18983

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2003
GB
I'm trying to get a part to go transparent in an animation, i know how to do this but when i render the animation using photoworks the transparency does not show? Is there any way to do this whilst using photoworks?

I believe you can do this by selecting use Solidworks Materials in the options but that would mean not have the realistic, shiny materials wouldnt it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Animator doesn't support transparency when using the PhotoWorks buffer. This is a very annoying limitation.

Send in an enhancement request.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 8/12/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 / SW 2007 SP 0.0

Technically, you CAN do this with PhotoWorks, but you're right--not with any PhotoWorks materials. It's all PhotoWorks materials with no fade-in/out or all SolidWorks materials with fade-in/out--but both can be rendered with PhotoWorks with that limitation.

Total bummer, wiki limitation.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

I've managed to render the animation using Solidworks Realview graphics, still looks the part. But when the animation is going through its transparency phase, the materials seem to detach themselves when the item returns to opaque, and i'm left with the parts with the default material. Anyway to combat this? I find the animation software to be simple yet frustrating at times!!

So your parts start with rendered Realview appearances, but don't return after the transparency? Weird.

One thing I always do now is step the animation through just before rendering it--to make sure everything will show up properly during the rendering. This isn't to prevent an error on my part, but on SolidWorks' part. I've often rendered a long animation only to find a blank decal in the finished animation that was perfectly fine at the start of the animation (GRRRR). So I drag the time-line slowly through the animation (waiting for the graphics to display correctly), making sure the materials/decals, etc. do what they were told to do.

The 2007 Animator has some nice updates, but you've got most of the improvements with 2006. And yes, the software is simple, yet frustrating--good way to put it.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back