Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S355 comparisons.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deco0404

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2009
GB
Hi Guys,

Im doing a little metallurgical research here with a 1966 version of De Ferri Metallographia and just want to get a rough comparison of the grain structures of certain steels. Obviously S355 wasn't around then, so am hoping some of you slightly more mature guys can give me a hand here. I'm thinking an old BS50E or ST52.3 seems close....

Just to add a little spice, the actual grade I have is S355G10+M Z35.........and a bonus point if anyone can tell me what the G10 really means. From what I can make out it is a specific customer requirement, but what confuses me is that the spec says it is a customer requirement, but why would anyone request a specific grade, that is not specific. ie customer says refer to spec, spec says refer to customer.......................

regards

Declan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BS 4360 Grade 50E and DIN 17100 Grade St52-3 were not required to have a fine grain, but in most cases these grades were delivered with a fine grain.
S355G10 is a steel grade from EN 10225 (Weldable structural steels for fixed offshore structures). This grade shall have a fine grain.
In EN10225 there are 15 different grades for S355 with different requirements of chemical composition, mechanical properties and for different product forms (plates, sections). According EN 10027-1 table 1 they are distinguished by G1 to G15.
S355G10 exists only for plates. 2 different delivery conditions are allowed: +N (normalized) or +M (thermomechanically rolled).

...just to add to what ulyssess mentioned :

Z35 means that the plate has been tested as to the reduction of area in the thickness direction ( "z axis" ) and the result was
not higher than 35% ( if 3 tests effected ) or respectively 25% ( if 1 test effected )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back