Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

S7-300 to ControlLogix over Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoshK

Industrial
Apr 5, 2011
US
I am looking to get data from a Siemens S7-300 to a ControlLogix PLC over Ethernet. The Siemens rack has a CP-343 module and the AB rack has an ENBT. Every search I've done tells me I need some sort of protocol converter, but I haven't seen any pertinent info that's recent. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a protocol converter. The CP343 is profibus and the A-B ENBT is Ethernet. The Data Station Plus from Red Lion is I think the easiest and most intuitive converter to program on the market, but not the cheapest. Free software lets you pick protocols and ports from drop-down menus, click, boom, done.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the specs on the Siemens card (CP-343-1 "Lean") and it says TCP/IP, and it has a RJ45 port. Would I still need the converter? (the ENBT is Ethernet/IP protocol).

Yes, you still need a protocol converter. The Siemens module talks in ProfiNet, and the AB module talks in DeviceNet. Both protocols use Ethernet as media, and TCP as transport protocol. But they have DIFFERENT grammar at application layer. They won't understand each other.

BTW, do not confuse Allen Bradley EtherNet/IP with TCP/IP. EtherNet/IP stands for 'Ethernet Industrial Protocol'.

Your best bet is to use an ethernet EWEB module in your contrologix processor. The siemens processor can talk straight generic ethernet. That is the only way to talk directly to each other without a protocal converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back