Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S7 ETHERNET COMMUNICATIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazznska

Electrical
Jan 11, 2007
DE
Lookihg for a recommendation for an adapter that will allow me to connect to a Seimens S7 PLC (with a profibus connection) over ethernet. What products you might have used and your feedback on their suitability.
Thank you in advance,
Russ Miller

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
What do you want to connect to the Profibus? If it is a PC computer, try SST/Woodhead. I have used some of their products.

Jazz,

You can use a Siemens CP5511/CP5512 and Simatic Net PC card (plug and play) to connect via MPI or Profibus at any location on the bus. If the PLC is a soft PLC such as WinLC controller and is installed on a PC670 HMI for example, you can connect via a crossover cable and TCP/IP network connection. Regardless of the protocol you must first set up the interface via the Set PG/PC Interface from the Options tab in Step 7.

The S7-200 is different from the S7-300 and 400 series in terms of hardware and accessories. As sed2developer said, your need to start by determining which version you have.

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Its been a while on siemens but I remember!

I know their was a simple special manufactured db9 connector that converts from the Siemens Profibus/programming driver to Ethernet. Costs was pretty low, $300, but that was a few years back. I am sure its still out their but better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back