Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA-350 LF2 vs SA-765 GR 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpape

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2003
US
Does anyone have any comments or history with these materials used for large, thick (14") ASME tube sheets? Design 350 PSI @ 500°F - MDMT (-)20°F? I am interested in the toughness and the best material I can get.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have SA 350 LF2 forgings for our older high pressure and low pressure feedwater heater tubesheets. No problems to speak of - it is a very common forging material.

Today, I would probably recommend going with SA-765 Grade II only because it applies directly to carbon and low alloy steel forgings for use in heat exchanger and feedwater heater components, like tubesheets.

SA-350 LF1 and LF2 has a long history in both the petrochemical and power industries in similar thickness and thicker tubesheet applications. The primary differences between the two specs are SA-350 LF2 is made to fine grain melting practice and impact testing is required while fine grain melting and impact testing is optional for SA-765. There is also a subtle difference in impact test location for your thickness.

Stanweld;
Impact tests are required in ASME SA 765 - Table 3. The purchaser can recommend other test temperatures as optional but you need to conduct impact tests. For Grade II the impact test requirement is 12 ft-lbs at -50 deg F.

Thanks metengr! You have stated the same evidence that I had originally come up with. The only draw back that I can see, is the addition of Ni, Cr, Mo, V, Al & Cu to the chemical analysis. I do understand that this makes it tougher and more weldable that LF2. I also am happy with the required testing, since I have required even more tests than SA 765 requires when I bought SA 350 LF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back