Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SA-516-70 1/4" plate for PED compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim042159

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2009
US
Does someone know of a supplier for subject material whose Quality System Certificate is issued by an EU institute?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean plate manufacturer fulfilling the requirement of PED 97/23EC in which is stated "material manufacturer has an appropriate quality-assurance system, certified by a competent body established within the Community and having undergone a specific assessment for materials"?
I think most of European plate manufacturers fulfil this requirement. And Grade 70 should be not difficult to get because it corresponds European grade P355GH per chemical composition.
First into my mind came e.q. Dillinger and Rautaruukki. If amount of your need is only two tons or less then some stockist like Universal-stahl in Germany could be one alternative (

I believe that the PED-certificate is not the real problem. Most European plate manufacturers (and probably a lot of others over the world) do have this certificate. This certificate does only play a role in the choice of certificate the manufacturer has to issue. If he does not have one, the direct inspection route has to be followed with the issue of a 3.2 certificate (if the plate is used in Cat. II, III, IV). See guideline 7/5
The real problem is that SA516-70 is not an harmonized standard under PED and therfore you need a particular material appraisal. Crucial points:
proove enough ductility (e.g. Charpy-V testing at lowest reference temperature)
proove tensile values at higher temperatures (as tables in ASME II-D do not provide minimum values)
See

ArcelorMittal Burns Harbor plant holds a Certificate of Conformance from ABS Group Ltd. assuring compliance with PED 97/23/EC 7/2, Annex 1, Paragraph 4.3 for steel slabs, plate, coils, etc. - good through June 21, 2010. You can download it from their website.

This is better than simple ISO 9001 cert. with European address. Other mills also have similar, this just happens to be one mill that I saw for a SA516-70 plate for one of my PED clients.

As Ulyssess pointed out, you would still need a PMA, and you may have problems meeting impact requirements, depending on your MDMT and your Notofied Body's program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back