Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA vs A for pressure vessel construction 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr441

Petroleum
Feb 11, 2008
Are the base materials used in pressure vessels constructed to ASME Sec VIII require a "SA"-prefix or is an "A" allowed. This is for carbon and stainless. Thanks for any help,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the pressure vessel is to be code stamped then it MUST be marked with SA. That being said, I believe there are provisions in UG-10 that permit the manufacturer (i.e. stamp holder) to recertify the material to be equivalent to and SA material. In most cases there is little on no difference between the A and SA specs. The start of each SA spec in section II part A details any differences that exist.

Regards,
EJL

I believe there is a specific provision in ASME VIII that allows ASTM A materials if the ASME SA material is identical to the ASTM A material. That fact (if true) is so noted on the first page of the ASME SA spec in Section II, Part A. I hope someone can verify this as a true. I do not have an ASME VIII on hand right now.

Joe Tank

Its usually far easier to just specify SA materials, but the Code does provide you some wiggle room. I'd suggest reading the section on Acceptable ASTM Editions starting on page xlvii of Section IIA. The key thing to note is (from IIA page xlvii) :
Materials for Code use should preferably be ordered, produced, and documented on this basis; however, material produced under an ASTM Specification listed in Table ED-1 may be used in lieu of the corresponding ASME Specification as listed in this guideline. Material produced to an ASME or ASTM Specification with requirements different from the requirements of the corresponding Specification may also be used in accordance with the above, provided the material manufacturer or vessel manufacturer certifies with evidence acceptable to the Authorized Inspector that the corresponding Specification requirements have been met.

You'll have to look up each material in particular. As an example, a typical CS, SA516 is on page lii. The material is identical to A516. The reference to Footnote B in Table 1 shall apply to the -04, -05, and -05e editions.

jt

It depends. Check the corresponding SA material spec. If the SA spec says it is identical to ASTM, recertification is not required.
If there is no corresponding SA spec, you need to certify the material per UG-10.
There is code interpretation on this issue, VIII-1-92-149.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back