Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sacrifical Anode Performance for Dissimilar Metals in a non-submerged condition 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZBuilding

Structural
Aug 26, 2014
US
All,

I have encountered a condition where Steel and Bronze are physically touching in a humid and often times wet condition. This location is not frequently visible and is seldom observed (yearly to bi-yearly). Rusting has occurred on the steel and I have been tasked with providing recommendations for how to best move forward. Separating the two members is currently a last resort option, and as such I researched alternative methods on corrosion prevention and mitigation.

It appears to me that the use of a sacrificial anode assembly post cleaning and painting is a potential solution, however, I ask this forums expertise for the following items. This product provides an example of what I might recommend as a sacrificial anode assembly:
1) This assembly typically performs in a submerged state. This condition is not submerged, however it is conducive enough for corrosion. Am I correct in assuming that since the condition is producing a sufficient electrical connection for corrosion to occur it will also allow a sacrificial anode assembly to perform?

2) As a side note to 1, should this assembly be applied with a conductive glue/epoxy/adhesive?

3) Is there a relationship between proximity of sacrificial anode to protected anode and cathode, the environment and the material properties? (I.E. placing the assembly x inches away in a humid environment will be y% effective for the materials used)

4) Any "best practices" or "rules of thumbs" which you could share would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just use the proper paints.
But in a sense that is CP, since the paints for steel contain Zn.
I would just contact coating companies and look at some good two or three layer coating systems.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back