Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saddle design on 2,4m duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidribeiro

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2002
ZA
Hi all,

Anyone able to shed some light into my problem:

Pipe diameter: 2,4m
Design Temp: 200 deg C
Design Int Press: 20kPa
Design External Press: 85 kPa

Please see if I'm on the right track:
1. Calculated required pipe wall thickness from governing pressure case. Due to the long length of the duct, I based the wall thickness calc on using a max dist between stiffening rings.
2. From the structural layout of the pipeline, I am forced to support the pipeline at specific places. Thus, I did a check as to the max deflection and stresses induced if it is supported at these places.
3. Once the stresses were confirmed as being below the allowable, I tackled the problem of saddles.
4. Due to thermal expansion of this pipeline, sliding saddles are going to be used. However, I want to minimise stresses at the tie ins to other equipment (vessels etc) so at these supports I am opting for a fixed support, and the sliding supports intermittantly.
5. Using Codecalc's horizontal vessel support module, I am trying to check the induced stresses on the pipe, base, web etc.

Here's my problem (unless my methodology is also a problem!):
The Zick Analysis used by Codecalc for saddle design, uses dished ends on either side of the shell. In my case I have connecting flages & stiffeners instead. Can I use the distance from the tan line of the head to the centre line of the saddle as the if it was the distance from flange to centre of saddle?
What happens to the length of the pipeline beyond this distance? Apparantly this distance cannot be more than half the tan to tan distance?

Sorry this is so long, but I'd rather give a consise description of my problem.

Regards
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

unclesyd (Materials):

Thanks for the input, but the problem I have in using reular pipe shoes, is that the structural engineers have only given me specific positions to place my support. The beam on which the saddle will rest is an I beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back