Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAE J429 Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlch58

Mechanical
May 19, 2003
US
I am fairly familiar with the AN standards for bolts, but am less familiar with the SAE standards beyond the tensile strength and material specs that make up the grading system. Does the SAE standard specify tolerances, bearing area, grip length etc? Or is that in another standard SAE standard? I am assuming ASTM? Everyone refers to SAE bolt but it is unclear what is meant vs when someone says thay want an an3-3 it is very clear to me.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SAE J429 Mechanical and Material Requirements for Externally Threaded Fasteners does not have any information regarding fastener geometry.

Geometry would be covered by the ASME series, such as ASME B18.2.1 Square and Hex Bolts and Screws.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I mistyped but meant ASME.

Regarding the pointer to the FAQ, did I commit some faux pas?

Thanks

No, that is part of my signature (and other users as well) for all posts. It helps spread the info if users see the link in many posts, not just a small link in the corner of the page where users aren't likely to look.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back