Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Safe distance for construction from the underground existing gas/oil pressure line

Status
Not open for further replies.

allimuthug

Civil/Environmental
Oct 5, 2014
CA
Hi Everyone,

I am facing a technical issue at a Brownfield Oil and Gas plan. My client wants to do some construction activity, but there is an operating Gas/Oil underground pipe near by. He is asking what is the allowable distance for safe operation from the Pipe. Please note that, he needs the answer with supporting standard document.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask the owner of the pipeline.

Define "some construction"
Define "safe"
Where in the world are you? Each country has different rules and regulations.

As a first guess try 5m. If that works then fine. Your question cannot be answer without a lot more information.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I understand it depends on the country, but as per the construction guideline it is 50m.
We don't have enough distance from the operating pipe to the construction place (means <50m).
Hence we are looking for an American or European guideline for overcoming this criteria.

Answer my questions and we might get somewhere.

50m is quite a long way.

If the pipeline owner isn't the same person then they only have rights within their easement, tonally 3m or 5m.

But you can't do something which would damage the pipe.

Is this pipe buried or above ground?

Like your other question, you're trying to prove a negative which is actually quite hard. You just need to do the design, assess the risks, mitigate or eliminate the risks and then see if the residual risk is within your company acceptable limits. So get hold of a safety engineer.

The pipe is a buried one and is on still operational. The owner is the same client.
I am looking for some standard from API of a safe distance to do construction.

Like I keep saying you need to:

Define "safe". What you really mean is acceptable risk
Define "construction"
But if the owner is the same person of both and you take steps to protect the pipeline then you could be 1m.
I don't believe the is any API standard which can help you.
You need to assess the situation you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back