Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

safe distance from a steam pipe rupture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss123

Chemical
Aug 10, 2004
GB
In light of the recent fatalities at the japenese nuclear plant caused by the rupture of high pressure steam pipe which caused fatal burns, could someone tell me how I could calculate what safe distance a person needs to be away from the pipe in case of rupture.

My steam pipes carry 10barg saturated steam. I've been told that a temperature of 70C is sufficient to cause fatal burns.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a drain or pressure release valve on this line? If so open it full open, measure the distance at which the steam temp drops below 60C. That your safe distance for that size rupture. Put some blow off valves on this line near and above the the operating temp and well below the burst pressure of the piping.

There are many factors to consider relating to safe distances in the event of a steam line rupture. Mainly how big is the rupture.
Some concerns are
1)The failed pipe may whip.
2) In addition to temperature, Over time the steam may displace the atmosphere reducing the oxygen for breathing.
3)A steam jet may hit other essential equipment.
4)The room or area of the failure may be subjected to a pressure rise causing wall damage.

I would think asking somebody to open a steam valve fully and measure the temperature until you get 60 degrees is quite dangerous. I suggest that some safer means is ascertained.

Pipes shouldn't rupture, perhaps a joint may leak. 10 bar is not a lot of pressure.

I would suggest simply making sure the right materials are used and tested. Install dual safety valves and discharge to a safe place.

Where personnel are at risk from damaging tyhe pipework (ie fork lifts etc) then limiters should be fitted together with guards around the susceptible pipe.

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back