Safe distance to drive a Pile near the existing Oil and Gas plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

allimuthug

Civil/Environmental
Oct 5, 2014
CA
Hi Everybody,

My client planned to construct a Tank foundation with piles near the existing plant. The issue is, what is safe distance to drive a pile to avoid vibration on the existing structures. I need this answer with a supporting document. Pleas help me with a solution!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Like your other post define "vibration".

The ground condition, size of pile, type of pile.

Vibration hammer, piling hammer?

Could you do CFA type instead?

There is no fixed answer.

These are matters of design and engineering judgement. Just because a code somewhere says xm, doesn't mean it's correct or that you couldn't do it closer.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

We are just proposing a soil test, but client is asking the above question of vibration before it.
It is a driven pile of 400x400mm
Piling will be done by a crane.
Ground condition yet to be tested (on proposal).
Can you brief CFA.
Thanks for your response.

You prob need a good geo tech but you real difficulty is defining what is an acceptable level of vibration. I haven't got a clue what it is and I doubt anyone has until you start doing it and see what moves.

Unless you're 50m away.

CFA mean continuous flight augur. Basically drill a big hole in the ground, stick a small cage of re bar in it and fill it with concrete before the hole collapses or fills with water.

Then stick a pile cap on top.

Much less vibration.

Also think about a vibration hammer rather than a bang bang percussion hammer which is what you sound like your looking at.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It may depend on how the existing structure was built and the distance from new pile construction. You will need a qualified Geotech Engineer to study the area and provide a recommendation for the new piling construction.
It's very common to have the piling activity for new add-on equipment in the existing operation area. And, the Geotech study is a must step for new civil construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back